Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fifty Shades of Green

Fifty Shades of Green  Oil  16 x 16

This fabulously green cafe sparkling in the Sayulita sunshine was a must to paint! In fact the entire town was complete eye candy!  
 
I took a long time to paint this one. I hadn't painted in oils for quite a while and it was like learning to paint all over again. There was a fair amount of frustration, feelings of desperation and questioning if I had ever even know how to paint to begin with. But I persevered and ended up enjoying the last stages of the painting. 
 
Frequency of painting is so important in our development as artists. A hiatus makes everything that should be second nature seem so incredibly difficult. I'm trying hard to paint a few times a week to get the flow of my skills going again and get into the zen of it - a place I love to be. Do you find that taking time off from painting creates a huge relearning curve for you when you start up again? Tell me it happens to you too. Please!

Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. LOVE the green building, Claire! Lots to see in this painting...and the brickwork is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda! I couldn't believe the colour of this house/restaurant. But then the entire town was filled with the most colourful houses all lined up beside each other. I have more to come!

      Delete
  2. So great! That green is one of my favorite colors...so alive! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Virginia! How nice to hear from you. I have been blogging a lot so I've been out of touch and it's great to hear from an old blogging friend.

      Delete
  3. I so love the color in this! And that perfect touch of messiness. My honest answer about being away from painting is that I should do it more often. I seem to do better when I've had time off. I don't know why that is. I always win at card games and chess and backgammon when I've been so long away I need to ask the rules. Beginner's Mind? No answer for that. Time off for me seems like sleep—brain cells being recharged. I don't like to take time off from painting but I should embrace it more.

    ReplyDelete