Tuesday, April 9, 2013

 Lemons and Lace  Oil  16 x 16 SOLD

This is the largest oil painting I've ever done. I'm still learning how to paint with oils and the larger the canvas the more intimidating it seems. I was very systematic with blocking in the entire painting and slowly building the layers and in the end I though "Well that wasn't so scarey after all". It's funny how we psych ourselves out isn't it? The vase and pedestal plate are two new finds from a local consignment store. I absolutely love them, so I'm sure they will show up in many more paintings. 

This is a very high tone painting for me. I usually go for more colour saturation and I frame all my paintings in black front loading floater frames. This one called for a silver frame and because it was on a deep canvas the selection was limited and very expensive, forcing the price of the painting up. So I did something else I've never done before and this was REALLY scarey. I took it off the deep stretchers and restretched  it onto narrow stretchers thereby increasing my selection of framing. I just lined the stretcher bars up along the creases that were alreadyin the canvas from the deep stretchers. I put one staple in the center of each side, working to opposite sides, and then worked my way out to the corners, putting in one or two staples on each side before switching to the opposite side.  The corners were already creased in the folds, so they came together very smoothly.   I do a lot of fabric stretching in my work and have done reupholstery but this was very nerve wracking and I had to do it when no one else was home so I could give it my full attention. I was thrilled it went smoothly without any horrible moments. The custom frame is going to be ready this Saturday and I can hardly wait to see how it looks framed.

This painting will be featured in the upcoming Oak Bay Artists' Spring Studio Tour on April 20 & 21. If you're in the area feel free to drop by and bring your friends! For a tour brochure, click here, the tour map link is at the bottom of the page. The link is compliments of Elizabeth Anderson who helped me with the link address. I was having trouble with links on my last post because I was using the permalinks in the side bar instead of the link on the top menu and I couldn't get it to work. Thanks Elizabeth!



Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Une superbe composition ma chère amie... Je comprends que parfois on se sente un peu déstabilisée en changeant de format... Mais en ce qu vous concerne cela vous réussit parfaitement bien.
    Des accords de couleurs, de lumières et d'ombres merveilleuses. Un très joli travail rempli de fraîcheur et de délicatesse.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martine, you have such a lovely way with words.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on such a beautiful painting, Claire. You should be so proud of this. I love the vase and the pattern...the blues are amazing...what can I say..but definitely one of my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda, your lovely comment means a lot to me.

      Delete