Saturday, November 2, 2013

Federation of Canadian Artists Fall Juried Exhibition


I am so pleased to have received Honourable Mention for my painting Satsuma at the FCA Fall Juried Exhibition!  The quality of paintings was very high and I truly feel hounoured to be recognized for my work. If you are in Victoria do drop by Dales Gallery in Chinatown and enjoy the show!

Satsuma  Oil  16 x 20  $1200 
Please contact Dales Gallery for inquiries

The photograph of this painting did not really turn out well. I tried shooting it a number of times using a grey card and I still ended up with a high tone photo, so that the value nuances are not really evident. I learned a lot painting Satsuma, because I layered not only patterns, but also white porcelain in front of each other. So the painting became all about values in order to create the form of each object and to have them stand apart from each other in space instead of blending.

Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

  1. And well deserved! Congratulations! It's a wonderful painting! I really admire the pattern on the china, but also the overall composition and skill that never falters throughout the piece. It's an incredibly strong work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathrine! I always admire your impressive skill level with so much attention to detail and composition, so I do appreciate your comment! I feeling quite honoured for this recognition.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Claire! This is a stunning piece! I'm knocked out by your skill as well as your ability to make the ambiance of it so open and friendly. Your values are masterful! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lorraine! I'm overwhelmed by all of your descriptive words! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Claire! This is absolutely fantastic!
    The detailing in the china is outstanding!! Love it and your award is so deserving!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda! I do love to paint a pattern! :-) I really appreciate your kind comment and I'm so happy to have been recognized. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Claire on your well deserved recognition! This is an outstanding painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura! I really appreciate your kindness and enthusiasm.

      Delete