Friday, October 17, 2014

Contemporary Still Life - The Golden Hour

The Golden Hour   Acrylic   30 x 30

Here is my second piece that I am honoured to have had selected into the prestigious regional annual show, The Sidney Fine Art Show. 

When selecting props and designing this painting, I had in mind the opulence and beauty of the still life paintings of the Dutch Masters. In 'The Golden Hour' I wanted to create a contemporary setting of opulence with draped damask, silver, glass, fruit and flowers. Inspired by Jan Davidsz de Heem, I discretely added some (what I consider attractive) insects, and one of the most beautiful subtleties from that time period, the reflection of a French pane window in the highlight of the vase. I usually paint in contrasting colours but opted for an analagous palette and some brighter contemporary lighting.

I attended the Opening Gala last night and so enjoyed seeing all my artist friends and viewing all the outstanding art on exhibit. It was truly a wonderful evening. 

The Sidney Fine Art Show is on October 17,18, and 19 at the Mary Winspear Center in Sidney BC. If you are in the area it will be a fantastic way to spend a rainy afternoon this weekend, or Saturday night is Meet the Artists and Local Samplings Night. As you view the art and chat with the artists, you can also enjoy samplings from our local wineries and cider makers. How great is that? Hope to see you there!

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. Thank you April, I appreciate you liking the temperature of the palette. Although this piece was accepted into a prestigious show, I put it though a critique the other night. The person doing the critique didn't like the warmth at all, in fact he said it was uncomfortable to look at. He felt that it would have been a stronger piece if I'd used a contrasting colour in the fabric. In fact I generally paint with complimentary colours and thought I'd try an analagous colour palette for a change. I have to admit that I was unsure of the colour, but it was accepted into the show. In any case, things like this always reinforce for me how subjective critiquing and jurying is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible piece, Claire! Outstanding!!! and I would have loved seeing this in person! My eyes take me all over the canvas. I love the vibrant colors you use and the way the fabric flows.. !!!

    ReplyDelete