Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In the Garden


Acrylic on Exhibition Canvas 24 x 24 SOLD

I'm pleased to announce that I have been juried into the Butchart Gardens Summer Art Show and Sale. The Butchart Gardens is our premiere Victoria attraction with 50 acres of the most spectacular floral finery and landscaping. It's a fabulous experience in all seasons. The above painting 'In the Garden' was a perfect fit for this show. When I first had the concept for this painting, I wanted to capture the pleasure of breakfast in the garden on a summer's day. When I actually set up the still life to photograph, it quickly became about light and shadow. I loved the shadows cast across the tea cup and table and onto the garden chair. I wanted to capture the bright summer sun, but give the impression of the freshness in the garden with the cool blue and white colour scheme. I'm really pleased with the result.











Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. I think you have captured breakfast in the garden! I'll have a table for two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you wonderful feedback, it's always great to have other artists appreciate your attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful piece! I am not surprised it got you in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making the show, Claire. There is a crispness to the light and colors in this peice that makes me 'feel' cool while thinking 'summer'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whjat a fantastic painting, so fresh and summery, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much Joanne, Carol Anne and Janice. It's so kind of you to comment positively on my work like that. I find blogging a very supportive endeavor. It's so great to have fellow artists who blog, there to encourage you.

    ReplyDelete