Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Melon and Berries

Original Oil on Linen 11 x 14 - SOLD

I recently participated in a workshop on traditional still life and wanted to reinforce the skills I learned, so I set up this composition and painted it from life. It took several sittings to complete, and I had to keep lifting the setting, which I'd made on top of a wooden pop crate, off of my dining room table and placing it elsewhere while we ate. The cantaloupe was wrapped and put back in the fridge several times. Because of this the folds in the fabric kept changing and the melon started shrinking and the berries were all wrinkled and dried up. Instead of hindering me, I realized that it aided me in painting from an emotional place and adding what I felt was needed for the picture making rather than being tied to the subject. I was able to concentrate on edges, and to adjust the shadows and highlights as I felt added to the painting.

I've mentioned a few times that I would like to loosen up my painting style and create more visible brushwork. Hmmm....It does look a little tight, but in real life it seems to fall somewhere in the middle. I'm thinking of entering it in an upcoming show. What are your thoughts?

Share/Bookmark

11 comments:

  1. Vous alors! EXTRAORDINAIRE que cette dernière toile, que ce soit sa composition et l'accord des teintes agréables où chaque détail a son importance... Bravo
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! Where was the workshop!? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes enter it. I was really drawn to the cantaloupe and the cutwork on your cloth. Oddly as I read your post, they were the two things that didn't remain stable during your painting sessions. Hum... Bringing some of your own emotion and not staying too caught up in the reference material may be a place you want to continue to explore? Your color combo in this composition is also very striking. I'd keep trying to reinforce what you learned at the workshop. It seems to have been the perfect one for you to take!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Claire. My favorite part is the pitcher. I love the way the shadow deepens on the right and melds into the background. Enter it, by all means.

    I sympathize with you having to move your set up. I also paint at the table, and I have to move my stuff daily. We suffering artists! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your very kind and supportive comments. Blogging has been a wonderful experience to share and learn with other artists, and I'm grateful for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Claire,
    beautiful, beautiful!
    I like classic paintings.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire...this one is absolutely amazing!! I see so much detail..I love the cloth as well as the blue/white pitcher. PERFECT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Antonio and Hilda, I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me these encouraging messages about my work. I'm humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claire, It's a gorgeous piece, very well done. You should be proud! This would be a personal preference, of course, but I would vote that you leave your brushwork as is. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this one Claire!! Love the set up, love how you've painted it, terrific!!

    ReplyDelete