Monday, January 3, 2011

Lemons and Light

SOLD


happy New Year everyone!! So here is the first painting question of the year. Why are lemons so difficult to paint? I find the shadows on lemons really hard. I wiped this one several times before settling on this final version. I kept saying paint what you see, but the darks looked SO dark and when I applied that colour, it just didn't seem to work for me. So now that I've posted this, I can see that I'm going to tweek it a bit.

I would like to thank all of you who have visited and commented over the past year. I never imagined when I started blogging, that I would be introduced to so many kind and giving individuals, who would make me feel a part of a strong supportive community of artists. I have learned so much from all of you, and grown from painting frequently, so one of my resolutions is to keep on blogging, and to do it more frequently. Thanks so much for following my work.



Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Ma chère Claire,
    Non seulement la lumière fut un beau travail sur le citron et ces tranches mais également sur le drapé...
    La peau ferme du citron est bien exprimée. Bientôt ce sera la fête des citrons à Menton... votre peinture pourrait illustrer à merveille cet évènement.
    Bisous et merci pour vos bons voeux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemons are beautiful and you are dealing very well with those pesky yellow shadows...the secret I find is to keep the colour in shadows for yellow from being too muddy...exaggerate the hue a bit. Going reddish is one way but you can also go very cool, using dark blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemons ARE difficult! I agree with what Karen says. I sometimes use oranges and burnt sienna, and other times I use the blues and greens. The light on your painting is very nice, Clare. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice painting of these lemons, Karen. Love the color, and the shading is well done. I also like the patterned cloth...it goes well with the lemons.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire, I think you've done a terrific job! I know how difficult yellow can be, I tackled some daffodils and have yet to venture back into the yellows. The light and fabric are nicely handled in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful painting, actually I like to paint fruits I don't know why that is my passion.

    ReplyDelete