Sunday, January 23, 2011

Seascape In Progress


I needed to take a break from small works and still lifes, so I decided to try something I haven't done before. I selected a long vertical format 36" x 18" and textured the canvas with molding paste on the top 2/3, and coarse pumice gel on the bottom 1/3. I've used molding paste before but not the coarse pumice. It dried overnight, which I wasn't expecting. I thought it would take longer. 


I then started painting a seascape/beach scene which I captured in a photograph at dawn, last August, on Hornby Island. I worked from the top of the canvas down, painting much of it with a palette knife, in an abstracted manner. Sometimes, you just have to do the opposite of what you've been doing, to spike your creativity.


I've started breaking up the field of orange water, reflecting the fiery sun, which is starting to rise up behind the hill. I'm painting in acrylics which dry quickly, so I can keep adding paint and making adjustments. I'm working fairly quickly and having a lot of fun with the size and experimental quality of this piece. I'll be interested to see how paint applies to the coarse pumice. Some would say, try it out on a small piece first, but what the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Stay tuned for the rest of this painting as it unfolds.
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I like it so far. I'll be watching for the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are making a huge leap into "doing things differently!" I wish I could see it in person to experience the textures and how they relate to the paint. I do think it's important to try to shake things up, but I'm wondering if the real focus should be on trying to cultivate a different way of seeing my own marks on the canvas, rather than actually trying to see the setup differently? I wish you the best in your search!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Virgina and Lorraine! I really appreciate the visit and comments, especially when there's not too much to see yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, i like to think while I'm painting because in some way I can figure out my thoughts through the paints i made, thanks

    ReplyDelete